Thursday, May 27, 2010

Welcome!

My husband and I are graduate students living in Boston. This spring, I read Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma in rapid succession, and I was inspired to try to be more conscious about our food choices. We both resolved to try to buy more organic more often, and local products where possible. Why? What we eat matters.Please, read either or both of the books, but it matters for the environment, for the farmers, for the animals that produce the animal products we eat, for our local economies, and for our health. Why wouldn't someone want to eat more ethically?

My response was quick: have you been in a Whole Foods lately? Talk about sticker shock! For a couple on a shoestring student budget, is it possible to eat more ethically while still maintaining some semblance of financial responsibility? We're going to try. I'll share our successes and failures, and hopefully share some helpful ways to think about where your food comes from in the process!

Now, I also enjoy cooking, so I will also share recipes and photos as well. Eating well should mean it tastes good!

I won't always be perfect, or perfectly economical, but I'll be honest about our attempts to eat both responsibly and economically.

No comments:

Post a Comment