Saturday, May 29, 2010

Over-Indulgence with a Little More Dignity

Most grad students I know (and let's face it, most students/teenagers/young people in general) will on occasion sleep in on the weekend. For a morning person such as myself, this means 10 AM. For others, this could mean 3, 4 in the afternoon. Such occasions call for grad student "brunch food."

Brunch can be an extremely dignified meal, with eggs benedict, bagels and lox, pancakes, and other items that restaurants charge way too much to order. This is why this morning, I confess, I ate a "grad student brunch." This is pure (over) indulgence on the cheap. It could be multiple slices of cold leftover pizza, potato chips, ice cream, etc. The recipe is as follows. Eat one thing that you happen to be craving at a time inappropriate for such food, and repeat until you've had too much of it.

This blog may be about responsible eating practices, but that doesn't always mean I eat responsible foods!

This is how I found myself eating double chocolate chunk cookies and milk as my brunch. They were delicious! Just because I found myself mindlessly enjoying my Saturday morning didn't mean I couldn't do it a little more ethically than I have in the past!

I used a baking mix, which requires that I add an egg. I have begun buying cage free, vegetarian feed, eggs. Look for eggs that are American Certified Humane. There are more of these options available than ever in your local grocery store now! You can also pick up eggs from your local farmer's market, and ask the farmer under what conditions he keeps his laying hens! Yes, these eggs are expensive (they run 5 or 6 bucks a dozen), but I normally use only an egg or two for baking. So we're talking a difference of .25 to .30 an egg. It's a quick swap to make your (over)indulgence a bit more ethical!

So what's your overindulgence food? Chips, ice cream, pizza? What might you be able to switch out to make that irresponsible decision just a little more responsible?

No comments:

Post a Comment