Wednesday, July 28, 2010

We Grow Our Own Herb(s)

Once upon a time, I was in a grocery store and wanted some mint. For mojitos. I had three options. There was dried mint. Not really an option for mojitos, but it was mint. There was a section of fresh herbs, individually packaged a few twigs at a time in plastic. The price? Close to $4. I gagged. Maybe I didn't want a mojito after all. At this price for the mint alone, when you added in the rum and lime and...maybe I should go buy one at the bar.

Then I saw it. A tiny little plant, tall and spindly, just roots and twigs really. It wasn't even potted. But it was 2.99. It was grown hydroponically. It was alive, and the package said it would last up to two weeks in its wrapping. I brought it home, and instead of keeping it in its little snug wrapping, it found a home in a tupperware container with water in it.

And there it grows to this day. That sucker has made it several months now, happily feeding our occasional mint needs. We change the water out every once in awhile, but that's it. What a bargain!

This happy little mint plant inspired us to try to add to our "herb garden." We have recently added a small basil plant to the tupperware. There is no soil, no fertilizer, just water. The plants get plenty of sunlight and are very happy.

We don't have a yard, or a porch even. My husband and I live in a tiny glass box apartment suspended high in the air, which comes into our place courtesy of an H-Vac. But even we can have our very own tiny hydroponic garden. You can too. Just get out that tupperware you never use.

No comments:

Post a Comment